Hello whole foodies!
By TONI CHER GERDELAN 19/05/15
These superfood packed fudge brownies tick all the boxes as far as I’m concerned: healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, high fibre and high protein…without any protein powder whatsoever! Protein, along with the additions of cacao and mesquite, will literally have you feeling really good in no time at all. Cashews & buckwheat are great sources of protein, mesquite & cacao are lesser, but still good, sources of protein too. The other cool thing about the presence of protein in this recipe is that it is essential to balance blood sugar levels. The addition of healthy fats will slow down the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream, thus preventing sugar “highs” & “crashes”. The reason I like to use sprouted buckwheat powder is that it increases the nutrient value of the buckwheat greatly, plus it makes it far easier to digest. You may wish to just use buckwheat flour instead, or some of the suggested substitutes below. Ok, enough nutrition 101 and onto the good stuff…
SUPER FEEL GOOD CHOC CARAMEL FUDGE BROWNIES
Raw, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Vegan & Paleo-friendly
10 fresh pitted dates
1 cup raw cashews*
1 cup raw cacao powder*
generous pinch of sea salt
2/3 cup melted coconut oil
1 cup sprouted buckwheat flour (if you don’t wish to make this yourself, you can purchase it or substitute with a coconut flour/nut flour mix) make your own by soaking buckwheat overnight in water, rinsing, and sprouting for a day or so (as you would with alfalfa etc) and dehydrating in oven or dehydrater for 4 hours at very low temperature (alternatively you can bypass this stage by buying activated buckwheat*) then once dried, blend into a fine powder
1/2 cup mesquite powder*
1/4 cup lucuma powder*
2 tsp vanilla powder*
100g block of Loving Earth caramel chocolate (alternatively you could make this yourself)
1/3 cup shredded coconut*
• Blitz the cashews in a food processor until fine (be careful not to turn into cashew butter)
• Add the dates and blitz some more until doughy & sticky
• Add the remaining ingredients and blitz until sticky
• Press the mixture into the base of your brownie tin & freeze or chill until firm
• Melt caramel chocolate over low heat
• Spread onto base, top with coconut and chill
• Once firm, cut into small (or BIG!) squares
• Store in the freezer for up to 6 weeks…if it lasts that long!
* all these products were from Loving Earth. This is not a sponsored post, I just really love their products and the integrity of their company.
Please let me know what you think in the comments below.