Hello whole foodies!
By TONI CHER GERDELAN 30/07/16
Loving this fun and yummy way to get your greens, instead of resorting to my usual faves of kale and spinach. If you have a big tub of home-made pesto hanging around the fridge as I did, then this satisfying (yet surprisingly light) dish becomes fun, fast and yummy! Stir through a generous amount of black sesame seeds for an absolute taste sensation, trust me! This recipe will give you more pesto than you need, which in my eyes is a total WIN!
Feel good facts:
- kelp noodles are considered a source of iodine, which supports healthy thyroid function = healthy metabolism and less mood swings!
- basil is rich in vitamin K which also promotes healthy metabolism & brain function
- cashews have been likened to nature’s prozac!
- black sesame seeds are rich in B vitamins & magnesium, which are key micronutritients in managing anxiety & depression
CREAMY PESTO KELP NOODLES
Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Vegan & Paleo-friendly
2 bunches of basil (leaves only)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts (you can toast these if you wish)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
sea salt & pepper to taste
Black sesame seeds
1/2 cup cashews (soaked for 2-4 hours) OR 2-3 tbsp cashew cheese
1/2 cup water
1 packet of kelp noodles
- Rinse kelp noodles well and soak in hot (or cold if you want raw) water til needed
- Blend basil leaves, nuts, garlic and olive oil til creamy.
- Taste pesto and season.
- Remove from pesto from blender, leaving approx. 2/3 cup in the blender
- Add cashews or cashew cheese to blender, along with water
- Blend til creamy and smooth
- Remove sauce from blender and stir into (drained) kelp noodles
- Top liberally with black sesame seeds and ENJOY!